Government Buildings Historic Reserve

You are here Home  > North Island  > Wellington Region  > Wellington >  Government Buildings Historic Reserve

The Government Buildings Historic Reserve – commonly referred to as the Old Government Buildings – is an impressive wooden government building is situated across the road from the Beehive. The building dates from 1876 and up until 1998 it was the second-largest wooden building in the world.

This building has a beautiful interior with cast-iron fireplaces, sweeping staircases and native timbers.

It is now home to Victoria University of Wellington’s Law School, although the grounds are open to the public and it is also possible to visit the displays on the ground floor and the first floor Cabinet room.


Our address

Address:
55 Lambton Quay, Wellington 6011
Bus 1, 2, 3, 3S, 3W, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 30, 31, 32, 43, 44, 45, 46, 052, 053, 054, 055, 056, 057, 058, 80, 81, 83, 84, 85, 90, 91, 92, 93, 211, N8 (stop: Lambton Quay – North End)
Telephone (04) 472 4341
Website www.heritage.org.nz
Admission free
    Open Mon–Fri 9am–5pm

    Close Comments
    a